Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Weekend in Williamsburg

Towards the end of May some friends of ours invited us to stay the weekend with them at a timeshare in Williamsburg. We've been to Williamsburg before, but never to the other 2 cities in the "Historic Triangle" Jamestown and Yorktown. The weekend started out with a tour of the Jamestown Settlement Ruins where there was a big archeological dig going on. It was pretty interesting to hear the stories of the settlement and the finds and how they connected the dots to what happened there. After having lunch at a classic roadside diner we headed out to Yorktown, which is both a historic port and battlefield. What I remember most was the history of the 'Pineapple' and how it symbolized hospitality in colonial times- battlefields are basically just that...large fields, not so interesting, but a beautiful drive. Then to finish off the weekend we stopped in Williamsburg for a stroll through the historic shops and a stop for some fancy cheese and old fashioned root beer.

Yorktown Monument

Model of Original Jamestown- you can see one of the dig sites in the background.

Glassblowing House in Jamestown.

Aaron by the reconstructed Jamestown Fort barrier
Williamsburg 'Stocks'

2 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled you are blogging again! I check with crossed fingers weekly only to be sadly let down quite often but not today!! Thanks. I haven't seen Europe pics so I hope those are next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Williamsburg is on our list places to go to! The history must be so interesting.

    ReplyDelete