Monday, January 9, 2012

DC Bucket List catch up

So of my list of 26 things I wanted to do in DC (see original blog post Jan. 2011) I accomplished 10 plus outside DC I also went to Valley Forge on a trip to PA and a fabulous road trip with my mom to Boston where we stopped in Philadelphia and New York City. No historic sites in NYC but we did get front row lottery tickets to see Wicked- and shopped Fifth Ave, the damage was minimal. But had a blast with my mom doing all the girl stuff aka shopping and walking... lots of walking. Also I made a trip to Charleston, SC for a long weekend where I hit up some beautiful historic mansion homes (Aaron was also MIA for this trip so I saw a lot more home tours than he'd normally go along with). Over our road trip home for Christmas we also saw some sites in Kirtland, OH (along with numerous 'Drive-in, Diners, and Dives' eateries as per Aaron's idea- that's more like traveling with my hubby- good thing I was not on a diet!) So all in all 2011 was a good year as far as East Coast Historic sites go. I am very happy with the progress.

The jump start to my list was a visit from my friend Lindsey- who flew to DC just to help me accomplish my bucket list. Had to give a shout out because that's a good friend! Even better she was totally up for the idea of biking from location to location.


Postal museum- Check (cool old planes, trains, and stamp collection- I would recommend)
American History- Check
Air and Space (DC mall location)- Check
Smithsonian Castle- Check (now I know why I've never been- there's almost nothing there)
Arlington House (General Lee's home)- Check (it's a pass- no furnishings it's just a really really long hike through Arlington Cemetery that is up a very steep hill)
National Cathedral- Check
Lincoln's Cottage- Check (FAVORITE site of all of these- so much information I had no clue about the daily life and the accessibility people had to the president and all the civil war facts. very very interesting)
Old Post Office Pavilion- Check (nice view fun place to stop for lunch if so inclined)
National Zoo- Check
Embassy Open houses in May- Check (too many Embassy's not enough days and time to see! Will need to go again)


Goal for 2012- 10 more DC bucket list sites.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww, it was a really good trip! Miss you! Thanks for showing me a good time, girl!

    ReplyDelete